Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Bushy Bride

The Bushy Bride comes from Andrew Lang's Red Fairy Book. It is a very similar story to Diamonds and Toads, in which a kind sister is greatly rewarded for her treatment of hidden fairies and an awful, cruel sister is punished. It also contains elements of 3s, like many other fairy tales (the kind sister visits the King she later marries 3 times before she claims she will leave forever and he manages to see her). It's Aarne-Thompson* type 403, which is the black-and-white bride. More after the jump.


While it's not completely original, it does mix together many common fairytale elements together to produce something different. I think it's pretty cute, and it has a lot of space for expansion into a novel. I don't really have anything else to add so I'm just going to mess around.




*Aarne-Thompson is a type of fairytale classification system that identifies key similarites in different fables.

1 comment:

  1. I realize I am commenting on my own posts but I procrastinated and I don't know that any of my friends would have the proper accounts and my mother gets goofy about internet stuff so I can't make a general facebook post to get people that aren't me to comment on it so: That's a random story. This blog is living up to it's title! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete